“The moment I knew you could open up a passive house and enjoy the breezes but still retain the benefits, I was sold. It really is the only logical way to build a home.” – Dick Clarke, designer and co-founder, Passivhaus Design & Construct.
Imagine… a home tailor-made for our harsh Australian conditions.
An ultra energy efficient house that regulates its own temperature and humidity.
A home that ensures clean, fresh air. That keeps dust, noise, pollution and insects at bay — a private oasis of quiet and calm.
Whether you live by the beach, in the bush, on a busy road or up in the mountains, a passive house delivers the ultimate in healthy living and comfortable lifestyle.
Developed in Germany in the late 1980s, passive house is a rigorous, voluntary standard for building energy efficient buildings that is growing in popularity and is changing the way we design and build homes.
Passive house functions through five design principles.
1. Airtightness: The first step to building a high quality, comfortable, healthy home is ensuring it is well sealed. The exterior ‘skin’ of the house creates a solid air barrier so no air leaks in or out.
2. Highly insulated: Passive houses are appropriately insulated. The insulation may be thicker than required by code and is continuous.
3. Minimise thermal bridges: This weak point in a build creates a heat highway between the interior and exterior of your home. Thermal bridges result in moisture and mould and temperature variations inside your home.
4. Window standards: Double or triple glazed to prevent heat transfer with frames made of non-heat conductive materials. Windows must be well sealed and appropriately shaded.
5. Mechanical Ventilation Heat RecoverySystem: An MVHR completely replaces the air in your home with fresh, filtered, clean air every three hours. The system does this with minimal energy use and retains 90% of indoor temperature; that’s warm in winter and cool in summer.
“Open your windows and doors whenever you like. When you close them, Passivhaus kicks into gear, and your comfort is assured.” – Andy Marlow – designer and co-founder, Passivhaus Design & Construct.
Built into every certified passive house is quality. This is because the rigorous passive house standard demands it. To be passive house certified, your home needs to pass strict testing around airtightness, thermal bridges, energy efficiency and thermal comfort.
Simply put, a passive house must meet the highest building standard in the world… generally held to be decades ahead of current Australian building codes. Passivhaus Design & Construct ensures your home will be ahead of the pack for years to come.
A constant supply of fresh air circulating throughout your passive house provides a healthy home for you and your family.
The quiet, reliable ventilation system completely replaces the air in your home with fresh, filtered air every three hours.
That means no dust, no smoke, no pollen, no pollution, no mould, no mildew, no insects and fewer shared illnesses.
Passive houses provide the ultimate in comfortable lifestyle. Cool in summer, warm in winter… just right all the time.
You can open your doors and windows whenever you like, but once you close them, the house automatically regulates the internal temperature.
The stringent certification standards require a passive house to never exceed the comfort band of 20-25 degrees. There are also strict limits on humidity levels, ensuring your comfort all year round.
Because your passive house is well sealed, it significantly reduces noise. Under a flight path? Near a busy road? Noisy neighbours? No problem. And noise reduction works both ways, giving you more privacy in your home.
Passive houses also minimise the difference between interior surfaces and internal air temperatures. No icy bathrooms on cold winter mornings and no tossing and turning on hot summer nights. Easy comfort all the time.
On average, a passive house takes 90% less energy to run in terms of heating and cooling than a standard Australian home. With a passive house, you’ll be virtually immune to rising energy costs.
A passive house certification is to the highest standards in the world, constructed to last the test of time. It incurs far lower maintenance costs and maintains market value for much longer. For your money, a passive house is the best investment in your family’s future.
…to live well in a passive house? Turn your dream of healthy, comfortable home that’s built to last into a reality? Contact the Passivhaus Design & Construct team today.